Wednesday, October 12, 2005

what's wrong with barcelona?

back in London for a few days and a friend asked me what had gone wrong in settling in Barcelona. The only thing I could think of is the banking system which is increasingly bizarre.

Last month I brought out some euro travellers cheques, deposited at the bank and was told they would take a month to clear. When I told the bank these chequeswould be accepted as cash in the remotest Kashmir hill village, I got the answer 'Yes but this is Spain'

And while my payment from Citywire went through swiftly last month, the UK bank found this time that the IBAN number, which combines a sort code and account number, didn't exist. For some reason Barclays Spain had seen fit to change the first two numbers in the intervening period...

No comments: